Let me clarify my title – wake up with coffee (or if you are NOT a morning person like me – about 4 coffees) then proceed to making better pancakes! I know – there’s lot of people out there saying – pancakes – easy – grab the box out of the cupboard add some milk and Bob’s your uncle (well not my uncle but someone’s uncle I am sure)… whenever I hear this or see someone in the grocery store grabbing a box of mix I want to stop them and say “Do you realize how easy it is to make pancakes from scratch?” and “No – it really takes no longer than making it from the box”. The difference 2 bowls instead of one and of course the taste. Not to mention you can actually see what is going into your pancakes. This is my Seriously Easy Better Pancakes recipe.
Seriously Easy Better Pancakes
- a touch less than 3/4 c milk + 2 TB white vinegar (mix together and let sit to sour it, while you mix the dry ingredients together) or buttermilk (ideally you want 1 1/2TB less than 3/4 cup)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2TB sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 2TB butter – melted
- wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Mix. Add jam. (you can make t1 tsp vanilla (try to get real vanilla not extract)
- 3TB strawberry, raspberry, blueberry or your favorite homemade jam
- Mix the milk & vinegar, and let sit. In another bowl, mix all dry ingredients together and whisk together to mix and remove and lumps (or sift). Add butter, vanilla and egg to milk & whisk. Add to dry ingredients and whisk.
- Heat pan on Med – High (on my stove that’s about a 6), add cooking spray, mist with EVOO or add butter. Pour some batter onto hot pan. Flip part way thru cooking. You will know when to flip pancake when the batter gets bubbles in the middle.
- Top with butter and serve – as an added treat sprinkle with powdered sugar. These are sweet & delicious – you may want to try them before adding syrup.
Hint: Make extra so you can wrap them up and freeze – pop them in the microwave for 1 minute in the morning for a breakfast on the go during the week. enJOY .
I love to hear your feedback! Like my blog and follow me (Joy In Your Kitchen) on Facebook and Twitter (joyskitchen).