Whether you are hoisting a pint or not – who doesn’t love going to the pub for some good ‘ol “pub grub”?
For this edition of my supper on a budget (see my past posts of Part 1 and Part 2) we are visiting pub grub…. more specifically wings. I love wings, unfortunately most wing places flour their wings (regardless if they bread them) – which for the most part make them off limits to me because of the gluten. This recipe is my kids absolute favourite wings and do not contain ketchup or tomato which some recipes do. Its been said nothing on the internet is completely new and its true – I adapted my recipe from this one.
On the menu: Sticky Wings, Salad, Oven “chips” and carrots and celery sticks. (fed 2 adults, 2 kids +left overs)
- 1KG wings $7.70
- Gluten Free All Purpose Flour $0.50
- celery & carrot sticks & salad $2.50
- Potatoes for “chips” $1.00
- oil & spices & marinade $2.00
- Total $13.70
- cost per person $3.43
Fly Me Away to the Pub – Gluten Free Wings & Pub Grub
- 1 KG chicken wings – split and tipped
- 2 eggs – beaten
- 1 cup all purpose gluten free flour (I use a rice based one)
- 1 – 2 TB your fave BBQ Rub (we use JIYK Classic)
- 1/8 -1/4 c vegetable oil
- 2 TB soy sauce (reduced sodium) (check for wheat)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 c water
- 1/4 c white vinegar
- 1/2 c sugar (or use Maple Syrup or Honey)
- like hot wings? optional: hot sauce to taste or omit sugar and add 1/2 c Sweet Heat Mango Trinidad Style hot sauce
To tip and split the wings – use kitchen shears, as you split them dunk in the eggs, then dredge in flour mixed with BBQ Rub. Allow to “dry” for a minute, repeat.
Heat oil in a deep saute pan over med high heat. Place wings in hot oil for 1 min per side until browned. (They will not be cooked). Once browned, removed from pan and place in sprayed casserole dish.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl or (I use a 2 cup measuring cup), mix, hot sauce (if using) with vinegar, sugar, soy sauce and whisk well (beware the sugar is harder to mix in). Pour marinade over wings, place in oven for 1 hour. After 20-30 min, flip wings over in sauce.
- 2-3 White Potatoes – sliced very thin.
- 1 -2 TB EVOO or Vegetable Oil.
- 1 TB BBQ Rub
Slice potatoes thinly, toss with oil and BBQ Rub, place on cookie sheet in oven with wings for last 40 minutes. Once wings are removed from oven, broil chips for 2 min. Serve & enJOY.
let me know what you think! Like the post, and follow me!
If you love pub grub like I do – check out these recipes of mine: