I did it! A few days ago I posted about a recipe that I came across for Peach Crisp made out of a cake mix and stated that although the recipe didn’t thrill me – the fact that 111 people … Continue reading
I’m distressed! I’m disappointed and kinda of appalled! I was on a fave site of mine – a database made up of different users submitted (shared) recipes and decided to see if there was any thing out there to add a new twist to my Tried & True but Oh-So-Loved Apple – Peach or whatever in season fruit Crisp.
I was expecting to find – the same ol basics maybe with a twist of honey, or granola or some other flavor and was appalled to find a Peach Crisp that’s crust was made out of a yellow or white box of cake mix! What? How is that crisp? Am I wrong in thinking crisp is actually – you know crumbly & crispy? Like rolled oats – or graham wafer crumbs crust – but cake? and a boxed cake at that (yuck – sorry readers if you use those – I like making it from scratch and really it only takes an extra 10 minutes and a few ingredients to keep in house.)
Don’t get me wrong there – were plenty of other yummy recipes that came up too but this one and the thing is – it came up a 4 1/2 out of 5 ranked by 111 people – that means at least 111 people have tried this recipe – and ranked it great – what? why?
Ok so here’s my task for this week – I will try said recipe – glup- boxcake mix and all – I was going to do one from scratch but thought that would be
an unfair advantage so I will go buy a cake mix and follow the recipe and report back what I think! (well I may have to use a gluten free cake mix so I can actually eat it)
In the meantime – here’s my tried and true – Old school – but love it.
(sorry guys no pictures – camera is still dead – getting another one soon!)
- 4 fresh peaches, peeled & sliced
- 2 banana’s (optional) peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (gluten free)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (or use Quinoa Flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Combine fruit and water in a 7×11 baking dish.
- In medium bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, flour & cinnamon. Cut in butter with pastry cutter (or 2 knives) until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over fruit.
- Bake in preheated oven 35 to 45 minutes, until topping starts to brown. Serve warm.
- Note – to make this gluten free try changing the all purpose flour to quinoa flour or GF all purpose flour. The next time I make this I may even try zipping some slivered (raw) almonds thru my coffee grinder into a flour and use that.
- You can also substitute any in season fruit – strawberries, apples, blue berries etc, If you want to omit the banana’s, increase the number of peaches by 2.
EnJOY! Don’t forget to comment and like my blog!
Want more? Check out my business site (http://mealsfromjoyskitchen.com) and Facebook Business Page!)
Posted in desserts and snacks, Family Fave's, Gluten free, recipes
Tagged apples, Brown sugar, cake, dessert, peach crisp, peaches, recipe, Rolled oats