Here we go with Part 2 of the Supper on a Budget series. This supper fits both the wallet and the time budget – prep to plate 30 min …..
This Peanut Butter Chicken is a “cheater” version of popular butter chicken, and again can be used as a base – try adding broccoli or chick peas (garbanzo beans) to it as well. The original version was something I used as a base – sorta but changed it up a lot – here’s the link to the original.
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breast (about 3/4 LB) $5.44
- 1/2 block of firm tofu $0.50
- Can of Diced Tomatoes $1.47
- Peanut Butter + Spices + Rice + onion $2.00
- Salad $1.47
- Total $10.88
- cost per serving $2.72
Sound Good? Try it!
- Rice (1 1/3 cups uncooked)
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breast (about 3/4 LB) – cut up into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 block of firm tofu – chopped
- 391 ml Can of Diced Tomatoes
- 3/4 c Peanut Butter
- 1/2 tsp red Chili Flakes
- 1/2 tsp Sriracha (Chili Sauce)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 onion diced
Cook rice according to directions. While rice is cooking, heat saute pan over med – high heat. Add about a TB vegetable oil. When oil is hot add garlic, onion and chicken. When chicken starts to turn white, add tofu. Stir. Add chili flakes. Pour in the can of tomatoes, juice and all. Stir, add peanut butter and stir, add Sriracha – I love spicy so I add the 1/2 tsp to the dish, then add more on my serving once I have plated it – you can play with the amount (or eliminate it if you are not keen on spice) that is right for you & your family. Turn heat down to low, the peanut butter will help thicken the sauce. The rice should be done, serve the peanut butter chicken over the rice. In this case, I had grabbed a bag of salad so we had that on the side. Yum. enJoy. I love comments so click the comment link and let me know what you think! Like recipes like this one? Click the like!
- Homemade peanut butter. (hanmadestuff.wordpress.com)
- Butter Chicken can be a healthy choice. Seriously! (metronews.ca)
- Grilled chicken with warm peanut butter sauce (i2cook.wordpress.com)
- National peanut butter and jelly day (eatocracy.cnn.com)