I love casseroles, I love comfort food, I don’t love gluten (or rather it doesn’t love me). Here’s my gluten free cheesy chicken & noodle casserole recipe. I have to admit that I started off making this as a tuna casserole – which I love but the rest of my family does not – I was on my own for supper so I thought I would take advantage of it. Unfortunately, once I started boiling the noodles and making the white sauce, I realized I had no tuna – so to fridge for the remaining roast chicken left overs it was! It turned out awesome and as a bonus – I got to clear the fridge of misc leftovers too!
Cheesy, Chicken & Noodle Casserole
- 1/2 bag of Gluten Free (Rice) Noodles (I used mini shells)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup diced orange peppers
- 1 cup chopped roasted chicken (leftovers work great!)
- about 2 cup white sauce (recipe below) * you can also use a can of undiluted cream of chicken soup – but read the ingredients if you are looking for gluten free – there is wheat in most of them.
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 tomato – chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- ** any other veggie you want to throw in! (use up leftovers here too! Broccoli is great)
- 1/4 cup GF bread crumbs (I use a multi-grain that I get from The Gluten Free Cookery, (available at select gourmet and butcher shops)
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2-3TB margarine or butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose Gluten Free Flour (mine is a rice blend)
- 1c- 1.5c milk
- 1/2 – 1 tsp black pepper (to taste)
- dash salt
- 1/2 – 1 1/5 tsp Dijon Mustard (I go heavy on the Dijon because I really like it) or use 1 tsp dry mustard
White Sauce: Heat saucepan over med high heat, melt butter/margarine, add flour and stir to form “paste” , add Dijon mustard, add pepper & salt, add milk slowly a little at a time stirring constantly until you get a thickened mixture. You can add the shredded cheddar here – and keep stirring but I like to add the cheddar to the mixture after – this is the same way you’d made a cheese sauce for broccoli or scalloped potatoes…..
Casserole: Preheat oven to 425 degrees C. Cook pasta according to instructions, when done, drain & rinse with cold water (this stops them from cooking any more and getting mushy and gross). While pasta is cooking, place peppers and onions in a bowl covered in plastic wrap and microwave for 2 min (or saute). Assemble all ingredients except bread crumbs and mozzarella cheese, in a bowl, mix. Add noodles & white sauce. Mix, pour into a greased casserole dish top with bread crumbs, then mozzarella cheese. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes (10-15 min longer if you have assembled this ahead of time and everything has cooled down – you want it to be hot (a min of 74 degree C). enJoy.
Like this? Click the like button! Don’t forget to let me know! I love comments and feedback! Follow me on Twitter (joyskitchen) and Facebook(Joy In Your Kitchen- biz pg) as well.
- How to Make Gluten Free Bread Crumbs (homemakerchic.wordpress.com)
- Cut the cost of a gluten-free diet (kansascity.com)