Ok, so my jambalaya isn’t really haunted – I just ran out of green peppers so substituted orange peppers in – and seeing as Halloween is a few days away – it turned into Haunted Jambalaya. (Cheesy but whatever).
This makes enough for 6 or 7 people easily – we serve it with Gluten Free Cornbread
I made a couple of substitutions since it was pouring rain and I wanted to use what I had on hand rather than go to the store.
Haunted Jambalaya (Chicken & Sausage)
- 1 LB Boneless Chicken (chopped into bite sized pieces) – typically I use thigh but I had breast on hand
- 1 LB Tasso or other cajun spiced smoked sausage (fully cooked) try debrezie if you can’t find tasso or andouile
- 4 cups chicken stock (I used turkey stock ‘cos its what i had on hand)
- 4 cups diced tomato (796ml can)
- 2 orange peppers – chopped
- 1.5 cup onions chopped
- 4-5 ribs celery chopped
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 1 TB Melinda’s XXX Hot Pepper sauce (or your fave)
- 2 TB Andy Roo’s Blackening Seasoning (or your fave cajun seasoning)
- 3 TB Thyme
- 1 Tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp celery salt
- 2 cup uncooked par boiled rice
Heat oil over med high heat. Add chicken and cook until no longer pink – if it sticks to the bottom – that’s ok – we want that. Remove chicken, add peppers, onions, garlic & celery, cook until onions are soft (again if they stick – that’s cool). Add chicken back in. Add sausage. Add tomatoes, chicken stock and spices. Add rice. Bring to boil. Cover, turn heat to low and simmer for 35-40 minutes.