Does everyone’s family love Taco Night as much as ours? Its guaranteed a hit in our house! The problem with taco’s is that darn, envelope of
sodium err, Taco Seasoning – Here are my tips on how to make Taco Night more healthy and maybe even stretch your buck a little.
- Use Extra Lean Ground Beef and drain off any fat once you have browned it. Better yet buy local from a farmer. If you can get beef that (the cow) has not been finished on corn, you won’t get as much fat marbling and will have very little water and fat being released and although you may (or may not) pay a buck more per pound, its worth it – you get more meat and less water.
- Mix a package of Veggie Ground Round with the beef – you will double the bulk and trust me once you add the seasoning no one will know the difference (and you get to sneak in more veggies)
- Leave the pre-packaged seasoning at the store and instead add your own mix -I use cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, cinnamon, and a dash of chili powder – any combination will do. To save time – mix up your fave concoction and store in an airtight container. Use this the same way you would the seasoning, brown meat, drain off fat, add 3/4 c water and seasoning, simmer.
- Add black beans to your meat. Increase the fibre and the protein!
- Add some frozen corn to the meat – again will bulk it up and add a veggie to the mix.
- In place of a store bought salsa or pico di gallo, dice up tomatoes & red onion, mix with some cilantro and fresh lime juice (this is also great on a salad instead of a dressing).
- Mash some avocado or serve it sliced in place of sour cream.
- Serve with a side salad – make it fun a lettuce base (also to be added to tacos) and then let the family top their salad with the taco toppings.
- Can’t get the kids to buy into veggies? Shred some carrots right into the meat after browning (also works in lasagna).
- Have left over chicken ? Heat it with the seasoning and a bit of water and simmer and have chicken tacos instead of beef.
Its also fun to have a contest to see who can make the most colourful tacos from the toppings being served.
As always enJOY.
- Have a contest to see who can make the most colourful taco