Its Labour Day Weekend, which is kinda funny since the last thing I want to do on Labour Day is – you know labour! Not in the work sense (or the have a baby sense either lol) … here are 2 of my Colourful Salads – easy to make – Non-Labour intensive – Labour Day Salads.
This is so easy to throw together at the last minute and a family fave. I used a purple cauliflower that I picked up at the farmers market but a regular one is just as good. I also made my dressing from 1TB cider vinegar, 1 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp Dijon Mustard and 4 tsp EVOO, but a bottled Italian dressing works perfectly too!)
- 1/2 head of cauliflower (I used purple but any cauliflower will do)
- 2-3 Ripe Tomatoes (I used yellow heirloom & red roma`s)
- 1/4-1/2 small purple onion (sliced thin) – optional
- Green or Black Olives – optional
- Oil & Vinegar or Italian style dressing to suit.
Mix dressing. Clean cauliflower*, and rinse tomatoes, cut both into bite sized chunks, add to bowl, add the rest of ingredients & dress salad. Best if you let it sit for 15 min for dressing to mix.
* best way to clean cauliflower (or broccoli) – fill a bowl with warm water and add a dash of salt to it – cut up vegetable and pop into the salted water, let soak for 5-10 min, drain (rinse if you want), the salt will draw out any bugs hiding out in the florets.
Best Black Bean-Tomato-Avocado Salad
This is another fave – you can cut salt by soaking your black beans, however a can of black beans rinsed will work wonderfully and rinsing the liquid will both cut the salt & the flatulence factor.
- 1 (28 oz) can black beans – drained & rinsed
- 2-3 Firm Tomatoes (I use roma`s)
- 1/2 red/purple onion, sliced thinly or diced
- 2 avocados – peeled, pitted and cut into chunks
- juice of 1 lime
- cilantro to taste (dried about 1 Tsp, fresh – a handful)
- salt & pepper to taste
This is best made just previous to serving to prevent the avocado from browning (although the acidity in the lime juice also helps prevent this as well). Place drained and rinsed black beans in a bowl, add tomatoes, onion, and avocados. Mix together. Cut the lime in half and squeeze the juice* over the bean mixture. Add the cilantro and S&P. Mix again, let sit 5 minutes before serving. (tightly wrap plastic wrap over the top so there is no air getting in if letting sit for longer).
* hint: roll lime (lemon or orange) over counter top previous to juicing and you will yield more juice.
I love to hear feedback – leave a comment and like my blog! Don’t forget to check my biz page out at http://mealsfromjoyskitchen.com and Facebook Page! Follow me on Twitter.